Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving wishes from afar

As our evening winds down here many of you are just getting up to start preparing for your Thanksgiving day. Turkeys are going into the oven, the NYC parade is kicking off, and everybody is gathering to celebrate. I know you are all curious about how we celebrated Thanksgiving here in China. The answer is short, because we didn't. It is not a holiday here, so most people are working (and unfortunately, Rich isn't even in Shanghai).

While out getting a few groceries last night I did see that our local supermarket had three frozen turkeys for sale. I hesitated for a minute, thinking that I could buy one to make this weekend when Rich is back from Beijing. I'm not sure how large it was (pound-wise), but it was big, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even fit in our oven. It was 780RMB - although I have to admit that I have never bought a turkey so I have no idea if this is a good price or not. As with everything else in this country, if we wanted a turkey the price would be fine. Given that I don't even really like turkey, I decided that the hesitation was more about being homesick and missing out on this family holiday than a desire to cook a turkey (and all the trimmings to go with it).

I can say that despite not having a proper Thanksgiving celebration, we did have a great day. We slept later than usual (thanks Ang), had two friends over for a play date, and then attended a tree lighting party at our building - I guess when you have a tree that big it warrants its own party. There are a few lingering homesick feelings tonight, but I did realize today that we have a really great network of new friends here and that helps this feel a little more like 'home'. Rich will be home from Beijing tomorrow evening and the three of us will have a wonderful weekend together.

We hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving day. Only 22 more days until we're back home!!

And because no post is complete without a picture or two of Ang...

A play date with the girls (Jasmine & Mami - both 2 months older than Ang)

The new place to hang out - since she can roll there all on her own

No comments: