Sunday, October 11, 2009

Craftiness

A friend of mine posted a picture of her baby girl wearing an adorable little hat the other day, so I figured Ang could use a cute little hat too. I was feeling crafty and needed to do something with the yarn that Nana left behind when she was visiting. I should probably mention that to date, my knitting has consisted of various 'sample' squares that are full of mistakes and usually end up getting ripped apart. I decided that it was time to start a real project and went about searching the internet for free hat patterns (there are hundreds of them). I settled on a very cute, basic hat that had a ruffled edge. I had to make a few modifications as the pattern called for size 10 circular needles and worsted yarn. I only had a pair of size 7 straight needles (also left behind by Nana) and haven't a clue what type of yarn I have (the label got thrown away). I assumed that it would be easier to knit on straight needles and sew up the seam than to hunt down circulars in Shanghai anyways (and even if I found circulars, I would still then have to figure out how to use them).

Well, two days later, we have a hat! It resembles a hat. It has a ruffled edge. Only one problem. I forgot to take the infamous 'Bozzuto head' into account and there is no way this is going to fit Ang. I guess we will save it for use on a doll someday.




Sorry I don't have a picture of the hat on Ang to show truly how small it is - she is asleep and I'm not waking her up to model.

After a little bit of searching in Shanghai yesterday, I now have a pair of size 10 circular needles and am going to attempt a second hat using these. This time I'll take her head size into consideration so hopefully it will fit!

It looks like I have a new hobby? And you all thought you were getting cheap Chinese trinkets for Christmas. Ha!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You little Babci you! So cute.